Monday, September 19, 2011

Week...?

Finally, I have a place to call home! Its a 2 bedroom, place in Gracia. A neighborhood that is known for its food, atmosphere, art and Catalan roots. Guadi and Picasso both called this neighborhood home at one point, and up until the early 1900's was still its own separate city.

Once again the week flew by, Monday through Friday was a blur of meetings, and classroom visits. Thursday night we had our Open House, where I spoke to parents about the Morning care/ drop off procedures and listened to many suggestions from parents on how they would fix the problem that is our drop off routine.

By the end of the night I had stopped by each of the 4th/5th classrooms to introduce myself to parents, and described my role as a Learning Support teacher.  Many parents were eager to introduce themselves, some with legitimate concerns, others maybe fitting into that "helicopter" parent category. I met some parents that were doing some pretty amazing things as well. Business brings a lot of our families to Barcelona, and many of our parents are founders/CEO's of a companies that are doing a lot of good. One parent's business is to get as many E-readers into 3rd world countries as possible, translating and providing students with culturally appropriate texts. Another, with the profits from a fancy skin cream, is funding the construction of water wells in Africa. Kind of nice to know that there are people out there who after finding finical stability for their own families, are spending their time and effort on others; not just inflating their own retirement funds...

Friday, I signed the rental contract, and almost immediately went shopping for basic start-up supplies. We found everything we needed in one "chino shop". It's kind of like a Walmart...but much more compact. It reminds me of the dusty market in Cholla Bay...Towels, shower curtain, sponges, soap, silverware, plates and bowls. Laundry basket, door hangers, and toothbrush holder. (not that we bought it but if needed you could also find, Michael Jackson paintings, 4 foot giraffe statue, sexy suduko, ramon noodles)

Saturday was spent cleaning, scrubbing, and arranging...followed by a siesta and a movie on the computer. Sunday, Alex (Irish roomate) and I went in search of breakfast, and found a Jazz Festival instead. Right in the center of Gracia, at Placa del Sol. We sat for awhile in a light sprinkle of rain, and it all just felt surreal. The music, the people, the atmosphere...It felt like Gracia.

Next week is the start of La Merce 2011, celebration of both the patron Saint of Barcelona, and the passing of summer to autumn...apparently one of the biggest festivals of the year.

I'll post some pictures of the new place as soon as I get some free time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to say hello!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.