Sunday, October 9, 2011

La Merce and Ibiza


Family and Friends,
A sincere apology for not updating the blog lately. I’d like to say that life has gotten busy, but that just seems too cliche. 
Life has been good though. La Merce was an experience. The entire city celebrates...well its origins are centered around the Virgin Mary, but its hard to find it in today’s celebration. Gigantes, Carrefoc, and Castellers are the main attractions; giants, demons, and human towers. The four day celebration ends with a firework show that puts the fourth of July to shame (sorry America). The Carrefoc was the highlight. As I was running through the middle of it taking pictures I thought, there is no way I can describe this in words...it would take a poet (or a better writer than myself, not saying a whole lot...) to capture the intensity and tone accurately. In summary, the city streets fill with a thousand or so people, who then anxiously wait for the “gates of hell” to open. Out of which, demons run through the crowd, spraying everyone with fireworks. 
I started Spanish class last week at International House. I felt like I should have been placed in a higher class, but then again I should have paid more attention in high school. Either way, I have enjoyed the first week of classes, and will have at least 4 hours a week of quality language practice. 
This last weekend was spent in Ibiza. Ibiza is the party capital of Europe, a relatively small island about an hour’s flight from Barcelona. I was apparently the only one who didn’t know this little fun fact before purchasing the tickets. We might have been the only twenty something year olds not looking for an all night into the early morning intoxicating experience. Luckily the weekend before was the end of the “season” for Ibiza, and we missed the masses. It was a nice quiet weekend, spent eating some amazing food and relaxing. 
I finally got the email from the Consulado de Espana, in Los Angeles, and my visa is ready to be picked up. I fly out tomorrow morning and will get to spend the week in LA with Jess! 
I should have a steady internet connection by the time I get back; for all of those looking to catch up with me on Skype, primas...
Pictures are posted at observations.zaplife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to say hello!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.