I landed early Saturday morning, my friend's plane landed only a few minutes after mine, and before I even made it through customs our paths had crossed. Bags and a taxi, and I was traveling through the streets of Barcelona. At first it looked like every other big city in the states, tall buildings, freeways, people. It didn't take long before I began to see the difference.
Highlights from the week include:
- Visiting my new school for the first time. Meeting the new staff, and learning the new curriculum. The staff have come from all over, each person has a background and history that seems like they might be characters in a book. The accents...
- The food; on every corner there are small, family owned restaurants from every corner of the world, Japones, Italian, French, Spanish and American.... McDonalds and KFC (which are surprisingly busy in a city that has so may other food options). Tapas and cafe con leche, it doesn't matter what time of day eating is always an option. Stopping on the way home from work to have a cervesa and some patatas bravas is more rewarding than I ever thought possible.
- Meeting my new flatmate and apartment hunting. We have seen several different apartments and think we have found the one we would like, but now we have to play games with the rental company to work out the final details.
- Experiencing 2 Barca V Real Madrid soccer matches. This city loves a win. Celebrations include honking your horn the entire way home, while flying flags out the window. Meeting in Plaza Catalunya to continue the celebration; singing, dancing, chanting, yelling, drinking, booing opposing fans until the police arrive.
- Laying on the beach in Barcelonleta, talk about a new level of people watching. Some even go beyond the usual topless attire. Men with no tan lines...a very confident culture. I have heard the beaches just outside the city are even more beautiful and less crowded, next weekend...
- Fiesta Major de Gracia, a neighborhood in Barcelona celebrates...something...each street in the neighborhood chooses a theme in which to decorate their street; themes include magic, Peter Pan, SpongeBob, Mozart. For an entire week the streets fill with people, music, food and sangria until the earlier morning hours.
- Bike riding and getting lost. I have a map that is now in 3 separate pieces from the amount of use. Riding around is helping me get a sense of direction in a city where every corner looks like the last.
Next week I am at work from 9:00-3:00, siesta sadly has gone by the way side here in Barcelona following the slowing economy. I will be setting up my office/ work room, and meeting the other 60 staff members on Thursday. And hopefully will be finalizing a housing contract by the end of next week, looking forward to unpacking my suitcases, and feeling like I am finally settled here in Barcelona.
Side note: I now have a cell phone and can send and receive text messages using the app "Whatsapp" found at www.whatsapp.com. Cell # +34 665 769 284 I would love to hear from you. I have and will continue to post photos at observations.zaplife.com.
Love you all, and please don't hesitate to Skype me a message.
Love reading your new posts, can't wait to read more!
ReplyDelete-Michelle (your sister obviously)