Two full weeks in Barcelona feels like a month. The idea that this is just a vacation and soon I would be headed home is quickly fading. With being at work all this week, I am, I think sub-consciencely realizing that this is home. Even though I don’t have a place to call home yet, I am finding the routines similar to what might be the everyday back home. Local grocery stores, favorite places to eat, bike rides and hanging out with friends are finding their place in the daily routine. Not to say that things are not new and exciting, but that I am able to find a sense of normalcy in the everyday.
Week in Review:
- At work this week, I was given keys to my office. As we prepare for the start of the school year, my job description is becoming more clear. I have been officially labeled Learning Support for the 4th and 5th grade classroom. In the states this is the typical Special Ed instructor. Here IEP’s and 504 exist, but are not legal contracts...and not as word heavy, as us U.S. teachers are used to. It will be up to me to work with students who may or may not have diagnosed disabilities like Dyslexia, ADD, Asburgers and Autism etc. Most of my work will be in the classroom, supporting the instruction; however, my office will double as a work room for students who need extended time on tests, a quite work space, or simply a place to get away from the distractions of the classroom. In addition to my Learning Support position I will also be part of a team, in which my Head of Schools refers to as the “A Team”. Along with principals, counselors, and office admin, I will be meeting weekly to help make decisions concerning the daily and future progress of the school.
- Went out for cheap pizza night, similar to our Little Ceasar’s. Probably the worst thing I have eaten here so far, and my stomach quickly made note of it. I sat among some new friends, all locals, which I met through my friend MaryAnn. Their English is about as good as my Spanish, so I sat for the most part simply listening to their conversations. At times they would attempt to ask me a question in English, but were not ready for my response, likewise, I could form a question in my head, but could not comprehend their quick responses.
- I saw my first pelicula (movie) Super Ocho, it’s the Steven Speilburg film. Even though the movie was in Spanish, I was able to follow the plot, or at least the one I made up in my head. I thought it was pretty good.
- Looked at several different places to live, but have not been succesful in finding something that we like. The places vary here quite a bit. As we entered a place in E’xamplia, we realized we were standing in the bathroom, which led to the rest of the house, it had lots of space but hadn’t been updated since the late 1800’s; having furniture that might be found in a museum of colonial living. Another place was in the final stages of remodeling, however the modern look of the place included bedroom walls that were completely made of glass, including the doors. Making any form of privacy nearly impossible. I called our housing company on Friday, and with their help we will be viewing some more reasonable places on Wednesday. Hopefully, fingers crossed, we will be able to find something soon.
- I have moved into another temporary place near the Placa Espanya. For the time being I am living with our school’s elementary music teacher, included in my rent is some free guitar lessons, and spontaneous Spanish lessons. I now have my own bedroom, and a small balcony overlooking part of the city.
- On Friday, a few of us went out to celebrate a birthday of one of the teachers. Dinner was amazing, Black Rice was the main course, getting its color from squid ink. We then headed out to a small bar where on Friday nights they host a small Flamenco group in the basement, a female singer, guitarist, drum box, and two dancers, a male and female. The art of Flamenco, is quite impressive, all of the instruments play based on the rhythm and flow of the dancers.
- Finally, last night I met up with a new friend, another local, who loves his new fixed gear bike, and has recently gotten into some photography. We intended on taking some pictures, but due to a flat tire we had to call it in early. He has promised to show me several spots that only the locals know about, the “real” Barcelona.

View from my temporary place

My office

Streets of Barcelona

Spanish style movie popcorn
No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't hesitate to say hello!
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.